Resources for Professional Women: Media
At Ellevate Network we believe that having women present in the media, both as providers and consumers, is so important.
Seeing as how only 10% of op-ed submissions are by women (and to less prestigious outlets), a disappointing number of media companies have a woman in leadership, and even women-focused digital media companies are run by men, there is a serious need for women to have an active voice in the media.
21% of Ellevate women are looking for high quality content to read, and 20% are looking to raise their profiles. 49% believe that to effectively develop your personal brand, you must frame yourself as a thought leader and have a significant social media presence. So not only is there opportunity to provide high quality content that women care about (and we mean that in the financial sense, too), but it’s vital for women’s career success to be recognized as a leader in a public space.
At Ellevate Network, we provide unique opportunities for women to amplify their presence by partnering with media companies that believe, as we do, that women bring important voices to the table, have a tremendous amount of expertise, and enrich the media landscape with their points of view.
Below, we recognize some of the most outstanding media outlets that provide a platform for women in the media as well as smart, up-to-date, and diverse content that is valuable to women readers.
- Catalyst: Whether it's measuring or diagnosing talent management gaps or identifying the best programs that organizations and business leaders can use to leverage top talent, Catalyst relies on fact-based, scientific methods and experience, as well as partnerships and collaborations, to find the answers. As a result, Catalyst is the most trusted resource for knowledge on gender, leadership, and inclusive leadership in the world.
- New America: is a think tank and civic enterprise committed to renewing American politics, prosperity, and purpose in the Digital Age. They generate big ideas, bridge the gap between technology and policy, and curate broad public conversation.
- McKinsey & Co.: Women in the Workplace 2016 is a comprehensive study of the state of women in corporate America. The study is part of a long-term partnership between LeanIn.Org and McKinsey & Company to give companies the information they need to promote female leadership and foster gender equality in the workplace.
Sharing Women’s Voices:
- Women@Forbes: showcases the stories of women who are starting up, starting over, and sharing their success. Check out the Ellevate page on Women@Forbes.
- MAKERS: is a women's leadership platform that highlights the stories of groundbreaking women today to create the leaders of tomorrow. It is the largest collection of women's stories ever assembled. MAKERS encompasses broadcast documentaries, web and mobile-first video content, and live events.
- Milk: is a space for women to explore their authentic perspectives and celebrate their natural power. They’re bringing a new female perspective to your inbox each week.
- BUST Magazine: Founded in 1993, the BUST brand is the groundbreaking, original women’s lifestyle magazine and website that is unique in its ability to connect with bright, cutting-edge, influential young women.
- The Corporate Sister: is the premier destination for successful, ambitious, and thriving women who want to build the career and life of their dreams. This is where we empower each other to be our best selves with impactful, powerful career, lifestyle and fashion advice.
- Blue Sky Innovation: is a hub for tech-minded entrepreneurs, and the development of digital marketing services, including branded content/native advertising solutions.
- Huffington Post: By providing an opportunity for women to get published and have their own blogger login, while maintaining a safe space for diverse perspectives, The Huffington Post is providing a platform for women to showcase their thought leadership to millions of readers. Check out the Ellevate page on Huffington Post.
- The Muse: is the only online career resource that offers a behind-the-scenes look at job opportunities with hundreds of companies, original career advice from prominent experts, and access to the best coaches to get personalized and private career help. And they have some amazing female founders!
- SharpHeels: is a career, fashion and lifestyle website for professional women. Their content is driven by a community of intelligent, dynamic women offering guidance and inspiration for an amazing audience.
- Women, Action, and the Media: is a people-powered independent nonprofit dedicated to building a robust, effective, inclusive movement for gender justice in media. They connect, support and organize media makers, activists, academics and funders working to advance women’s media participation, ownership and representation.
Ellevate is proud to work with many of the companies on this list because we believe that as a community of companies committed to closing the many gender gaps that exist today, the power of shared resources, knowledge, and passion is critical. Take a look at the complete list of companies here.
Want information on the media companies providing interesting content and a platform for women's voices? Sign up for the Morning Boost to get curated content straight to your inbox.
Is there a business that you'd like us to include on this list? Want to be included on this list yourself? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join Ellevate Now
In our community of experts, you’ll meet professional women committed to helping you succeed. We use the power of community to help you take the next step in your career.
Already a Member?