In 2016 our community became stronger. We couldn't have done it without you.
If you, like us, are getting into the whole end-of-year feeling of nostalgia for how fast time passes, pride for what you've accomplished, and excitement for what's to come, you'll certainly be looking back to see what 2016 had to offer. We've rounded up some of the best content from Ellevate for you to revisit.
Ellevate Events Around The World
We had quite the year when it comes to events and it's hard to pick favorites! Our amazing chapters hosted close to 500 events around the world and featured more than 350 speakers... almost as many speakers as days in a year!
From Ellevate Dubai's yearly forum, where the Dubai Business Women Council (DBWC) pledged action for gender parity, to Ellevate Houston's Women in Entrepreneurship panel which featured amazing women entrepreneurs who discussed their journeys and gave tips to those looking to branch out on their own, there was an Ellevate event for everyone. Some of the other notable events included Ellevate Cincinnati's 6th Annual Chocolate Competition (because who doesn't love chocolate?), Sallie Krawcheck's first ever visit to Ellevate Puerto Rico (which had to be rescheduled twice due to horrible winter storms in NYC), Ellevate Washington D.C.'s Women In Power event showcasing female leaders who had great advice to share for the audience, and our 9 chapter screenings across the country of He Named Me Malala in honor of International Women's Day.
In New York City, home of Ellevate HQ, we had the pleasure of hosting thoughtful discussions with female leaders including tennis legend (and proud Ellevate member) Venus Williams and Anne-Marie Slaughter, President and CEO of New America. Finally, the events in 2016 would not have been complete without a discussion of the political climate and what a new president means for women — watch the livestream of our After the Election event here.
Learn On The Go: Online Content
Ellevate Network members are experts in their fields. They are thought leaders who are willing to share their knowledge with other women to help them succeed. Here's some of the best content created by Ellevate members this year.
Top Ellevate Jam Sessions (webinars) of 2016:
- Navigating Today's Market with Liz Ann Sonders, Chief Investment Strategist, Charles Schwab: In one of our most popular Jam Sessions in history, Liz Ann Sonders shared insights on the latest U.S. market and economic trends.
- Changing Careers: How to Transition Without Missing a Beat: Anjali Sud, Senior Vice President and General Manager at Vimeo, shared her story of career transition and gave tips for others to do the same.
- Podcasting: The Future of Thought Leadership - Ok, so we definitely think Katharine Heller is great; after all, she's the producer of the Ellevate Podcast. But this Jam Session was informative and useful for anyone who's thinking about moving into the podcast space.
- What to Expect When Deciding to be an Entrepreneur: No best-of list would be complete without our very own Sallie Krawcheck. In this Jam Session she shared her entrepreneurial journey and practical advice for those thinking of taking the plunge and going solo.
- Being Scared: Using Fear as a Driver, Not an Inhibitor: Julia Landauer has been racing cars for most of her life, so she knows how to manage fear and she shares her secrets on how to turn that fear into motivation in her Jam Session.
Top Articles of 2016:
- 3 Mistakes You’re Making On LinkedIn (And How To Fix Them) by Annette Richmond
- A Crucial Time Management Mistake You May Not Know You're Making by Stacy Kim
- What They Don't Tell You as a Working Mom by Sallie Krawcheck
- What Do the Most Successful People Do Before Breakfast? by Catharine Plano
- Why Female Role Models Matter by Tina Pettigrew and Johanna Pulgarin
- How Successful Women Make the Most of Their Time by Ellevate Network, from a Jam Session with Laura Vanderkam
- Investing in Yourself is a Habit You Need to Build by Tina Pettigrew
- 8 Game-Changing Strategies to Become More Influential at Work by Connie Wedel
- The Single Biggest Mistake I've Seen Women Make at Work by Sallie Krawcheck
- 6 Things That Should Be On A Resume by Tricia Lucas
- Why Smart Women Get Stuck and What To Do About It by Ellevate Network from Stacy Kim Jam Session
- Personal Rebranding: How To Be Seen Differently by Caroline Ceniza-Levine
- 5 Ways to Kill It at Work by Sally Hubbard
- How Women Can Mobilize Post Election by Ellevate Network
- How Leaders Really Drive Change by Kristy Wallace
Role Models Matter
We believe that it's hard for you to be what you can't see. We believe in it so much that one of the main things we do at Ellevate is share the stories of successful women who are changing the world. In fact, one of our largest social media campaigns this year was focused on showcasing #FemaleRoleModels — and we got a lot of responses!
Through the Ellevate Podcast, which launched this year, we have been striving to share even more stories of inspiring women changing the face of business by building companies, writing books, becoming mentors and sponsors, and advocating for women in their workplaces. If you haven't listened to it yet, what are you waiting for?
Top Episodes of the Ellevate Podcast in 2016:
- Episode 4: Work-life Balance with Laura Vanderkam
- Episode 8: Talking Career Transitions and Negotiations with Caroline Ceniza-Levine
- Episode 10: Getting Over the Career Slump with Kathy Caprino
- Episode 15: Speaking Up and Getting What You're Worth with Deepali Vyas
- Episode 14: Confidence and Assertiveness with Julia Landauer
- Episode 22: Changing A Company’s Culture, with Nellie Borrero
- Episode 24: Time Management and Entrepreneurship with Angela Lee
- Episode 31: From Strikeouts to Home Runs with Jennifer Gefsky
- Episode 33: The Importance of Mission and Purpose, with Heidi Hackemer
And if you're looking for more of a big picture view of what our community is accomplishing, check out our 2nd Annual Ellevate Impact Survey results. You'll find info on what percentage of the community is getting raises, starting businesses, becoming thought leaders, and more.
We're In This Together
We know that there has been a lot of progress in moving the needle towards gender equality, but there is still a lot more work to be done, and we can't do it alone. The beauty of what we do at Ellevate lies in our ability to connect professional women to each other, with companies that care about diversity, and with other companies and organizations that are making a difference.
This year we created our first ever list of Top Resources for Professional Women, featuring some of the companies we work with (or hope to work with soon) and admire for the work they are doing.
Oh, and we can't thank you, our members, enough for helping grow your community by sharing it with other ambitious women you know. There's strength in numbers! And remember, if you refer 10 friends who join Ellevate, your next year of membership is on us!
Always Be Innovating
We've been around for a long time (really, we have — remember 85 Broads?) and if there's one thing we've learned is that we need to keep innovating, keep changing, and keep improving if we want to have an impact. This year we solidified our commitment to our mission by becoming a Certified B Corporation and joining companies such as Etsy, Patagonia, Warby Parker, and many others that are using the power of business to drive social change.
We also made significant changes to how we communicate with our community by launching The Morning Boost, our new ultra-personalized newsletter. The Morning Boost consolidates account updates, local and online event calendars, personalized article recommendations, community highlights, and popular content like our weekly poll into a single email.
And last but not least, we made improvements to the way you can search for other women in the community by using Your Inner Circle, a tool that allows you to search by industry, affinity groups, and more.
What's to come in 2017? Well, we can't tell you just yet... but know that we're always thinking of ways to help you succeed. There's so much more to come!
Looking for a year in review of all trending news? Check it out here.