Getting on a board is not easy, but you’ll leave this training with an action plan crafted with the knowledge of our experts and the support of other senior leaders.
Wed, May 19, 2021 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM EDT
Serving on a board of directors can be extremely rewarding. Not only do you get to use all of your hard-earned knowledge to help a company succeed, but you also get to build your legacy, credibility, leadership, and your network.
If you want to get on a board, but haven’t made satisfying progress - this training is for you.
In just a few hours, you’ll -
- Know which opportunities are right for you. We’ll start by walking through a foundational knowledge about the Corporate Board ecosystem, including a breakdown of different types of boards, companies, expectations, and skills required for each.
- Write your personal "value prop" statement. We’ll show you all the ways you’re actually already prepared for a board seat, then convene into small groups to write personal statements.
- Brainstorm a wish list of boards to serve on. We’ll inspire you to dream up which opportunities should be on your personal board wish list, then break into small groups to compare and perfect our lists.
- Have an action plan for using your existing network to connect with your wishlist. We’ll go through a framework for activating your network and targeting opportunities, then come together in small groups to create personal lists of influencers and connectors to contact.
The best way to kickstart the process of getting on a board is to talk through it with our experts, other senior leaders, and yourself.
Like every part of Ellevate’s Executive Program, this will not be a lecture. Be prepared to roll up your sleeves, participate, and take action.
The space we create for honest reflection is exceptionally powerful.
You’ll find that you’re not alone. In fact, you have a whole group of other senior leaders at your back.
After this training, you’ll be prepared to attend our Mobilize Women Board Placement Fair, where you’ll have the opportunity to pitch your expertise in real time to decision-makers looking to fill board seats.
This is a part of Ellevate's Executive Program.
The Executive Program is a space for executives and successful business owners to share leadership experiences - the stories that are invisible to their teams - with trusted peers and experts.
Every Ellevate program has a variety of flexible ways to get validation, perspective, and actionable advice from women who’ve been there.
The Executive Program includes:
- Weekly Drop-In Executive Roundtables
- Executive Trainings & Workshops
- Mentoring Meetups
- Local Chapter Executive Coffees & Lunches
- 12-Week Executive Squads Program
How can you try out the Executive Program?
- Try out a weekly Executive Roundtable for $50.
- Get $5 off weekly Executive Roundtables for $5 a month with Basic Access.
- Get unlimited access to the full program with Executive Access.
Interested in sponsoring this event or future events? Contact Us.
How to Prepare for Your First Board Role
1:00pm: Opening and Introduction
🎓 1:05pm: How to Prepare for Your First Board Role Part I with Matt Blumberg
💡 1:25pm: Mid-point Q&A
🎓 1:35pm: How to Prepare for Your First Board Role Part II with Matt Blumberg
💡 1:50pm: Q&A
Identifying Your Board Wish-List
🎓 2:10pm: Identifying Your Personal Board Wish-List with Sheila Ronning
💬 2:20PM: Peer Mentoring Action-Oriented Breakout: Clarifying your board wish-list
📣 2:40pm: Full group share-out
Writing Your Personal Value Prop
🎓 2:45pm: Defining Your Value Prop with Sheila Ronning
💬 2:55pm: Peer Mentoring Action-Oriented Breakout: Working on Your Value Prop
📣 3:15pm: Full group share-out
Action Plan: Using Your Existing Network
🎓 3:30pm: How Your Network Gets You Your Seat at the Table with Sheila Ronning
💬 3:40: Peer Mentoring Action-Oriented Breakout: Creating your list of influencers and connectors
📣 3:55pm: Full group share-out & close
Get Introduced to the Women You Should Know
We help our members connect with specific attendees who share their industry and life experiences.