Miss Representation Documentary Screening & Discussion
Morristown, NJ • March 26, 2018
Join us for a special screening of Miss Representation featuring experiences and perspectives from women in media and join this important conversation.
Monday, March 26, 2018 5:30 PM - 8:00 PM EDTCollege of St Elizabeth
2 Convent Rd
Annunciation Center - Dolan Theater
Morristown, NJ 07960
***Directions under Agenda***
In a society where media is the most persuasive force shaping cultural norms, the message that young women and men overwhelmingly face is that a woman’s value and power lie in her youth, beauty, and sexuality and not in her capacity as a leader.
While women have made great strides in leadership over the past few decades, the United States is still 33rd out of the 49 highest income countries when it comes to women in the national legislature. And it’s not better outside of government. Women make up only 4.6% of S&P 500 CEOs and 17% of directors, executive producers, writers, cinematographers, and editors working on the top 250 domestic grossing films.
Stories from teenage girls and provocative interviews with politicians, journalists, entertainers, activists, and academics, like Katie Couric, Rosario Dawson, Gloria Steinem, Margaret Cho, Condoleezza Rice, Rachel Maddow, and Nancy Pelosi, build momentum as Miss Representation accumulates startling facts and statistics that will leave the audience shaken, but armed with a new perspective.
Help challenge this status quo by watching a screening of Miss Representation and participating in a healthy dialogue on understanding and shaping how women are represented in media and otherwise.
"This powerful movie is not only educational, it’s entertaining, sometimes shocking, and really quite inspiring. Since our screening, I’ve heard a viewer talk about starting a media literacy campaign in her local community, another plans to run for office, and countless others plan to share this film with their friends, families, and most importantly, teenage daughters and sons. It’s more than a movie; it’s starting a movement" . Bonnie Buol Ruszczyk, Atlanta Independent Women’s Network
Networking begins at 5:30 pm with light refreshments and Miss Representation will be shown at 6:00 pm and a facilitated dialogue will follow.
Miss Representation is appropriate for high school and college students; feel free to invite daughters, sons and others who could benefit from viewing this film. We'd love a large turnout; it is Women's History Month so join us in celebrating it!
Any questions? Contact Chapter Co-President Tez Roro at email@example.com.
Interested in sponsoring this event or future events? Contact Us.
General directions to campus: www.cse.edu/directions
Specific directions to the Annunciation Center/Dolan Performance Hall once you are on campus.
Entering from Madison Avenue/Rte. 124
1) Cross the RR Tracks.
2) At stop sign/security booth - no need to speak with security but if they are in the booth, please wave nicely!
3) Continue to the left, going downhill.
4) After next stop sign, continue up hill.
5) First building on left is St. Joseph Hall
6) Immediately past St. Joseph, turn left into parking lot.
7) Annunciation Center is the very large building at the back of the lot, facing you as you drive in.
8) Park anywhere - no need for security permissions.
9) Enter the building through the main entrance.
10)Take stairs or elevator to lower level
11) Dolan theater entrance is to the left at the bottom of the stairs (or straight ahead when you exit elevator)
12) Restrooms are on the same level in the hallway to the left of Dolan.
13) Refreshments will be set-up in the lower level hall - under the stairs.
Entering from Park Avenue
1) Continue uphill – once at the top of the hill, road curves to the right.
2) Enter the first driveway.
3) Annunciation is the building in front of you.
4) Park anywhere - no need for security permissions.
5) Enter the building through the main entrance.
6) Take stairs or elevator to lower level
7) Dolan theater entrance is to the left at the bottom of the stairs (or straight ahead when you exit elevator)
8) Restrooms are on the same level in the hallway to the left of Dolan.
9) Refreshments will be set-up in the lower level hall - under the stairs.
Get Introduced to the Women You Should Know
We help our members connect with specific attendees who share their industry and life experiences.